Manchester shop owner fined for fire safety breaches

Manchester shop owner fined for fire safety breaches

The owner of a shop in Manchester has been fined for nine breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

Ahtezaz Akhtar, of Levenshulme, was fined £9,000 after he pleaded guilty to the offences at Tameside Magistrates’ Court on May 23rd.

The 28-year-old was also ordered to pay costs of £4,200 to Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS).

Concerns were raised about the safety of the Best One off licence on Birch Street, Ashton, in August 2011 following an investigation by Environmental Health officers from Tameside Council.

They found that the floors above the shop were used as sleeping accommodation but discovered a lack of basic fire safety measures, including failure to carry out a fire risk assessment and lack of fire alarm systems.

Deputy county fire officer Jim Owen warned firms that the service will prosecute and seek to recover the costs of those firms that put their workers or members of the public at risk.

He said: “The vast majority of businesses in Greater Manchester do carry out their legal responsibilities accordingly but this case should be a warning to those who fail to do so that we will take action against them.”

Sign In

Sign Up