Candle Fire Safety Week

Candle Fire Safety Week

People across Merseyside are urged to prevent fires in their home by taking care when using candles.

As part of Candle Fire Safety Week, led by the National Fire Kills campaign, Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is asking people to take simple steps to stay safe.

Around 40% of fires started by candles in the UK result in death or injury and candle fires result in around 350 casualties each year.

Candles should never be left unattended and should be put out when leaving the room. They should be kept away from flammable materials such as curtains.

There have been a number of incidents in Merseyside involving candles in the past month.

A candle caused decorations to catch fire at a house on Lobelia Avenue in Walton at 12.50pm on October 31. It was after a woman attempted to light a pumpkin with a candle and the flame ignited decorations. A neighbour extinguished the fire and helped the woman to safety.

Firefighters were also called out to a house in Lyndhurst, in Maghull at around 3.40pm on November 4. It was after a candle that was on top of a gas fire melted into the fire, causing smoke in the living room.

Fire crews were called to a fire at a house on Amnesty Road in Old Swan at around 8pm on October 21 after a candle that was left on top of a gas fire was involved in fire.

Firefighters also attended a fire at a flat on Scarisbrick New Road on October 15 at around 8.40am after a candle on top of a TV set caused a fire. The candle and TV set were damaged in the fire.

Watch Manager Phil Byrne said: “More people use candles during the dark winter nights however people need to remember that this is an open flame that can cause a fire.

“Extra care should be taken when using candles. They should be kept away from curtains and should be put out when leaving the room. Candles should also be kept out of reach of children and pets.

“A smoke alarm can give you the vital time you need to get out, stay out and call 999 in the event of a fire. We advise people to have smoke alarms fitted on each floor of their home and they should be tested every week.”

Candle Fire Safety Week runs this week until Sunday, November 24 and as part of that Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service urges people to take notice of the key safety messages.

People should: never leave candles unattended; place candles on a stable surface out of reach of pets and children; don’t move candles once they are lit; put scented candles in a heat resistant holder and burn candles in a well-ventilated room.

For free home fire safety advice call Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service on 0800 7315958.

Sign In

Sign Up