Woman, 23, dies after fire breaks out in Rochdale flat

Woman, 23, dies after fire breaks out in Rochdale flat

Original source Manchester Evening News

A 23-year-old woman has died after a fire at a flat.

Firefighters were called to the Ilminster block of flats off Castlemere Street nearRochdale town centre in the early hours of Saturday after a 999 call was received.

The ground-floor flat was ‘well alight’, the fire service said, and the woman, who has not been named, was rescued by firefighters from a bedroom.

She was taken outside where firefighters and paramedics gave her emergency CPR before she was taken to hospital. It’s now been confirmed that she later died.

Greater Manchester Fire Service and Greater Manchester Police have launched a joint investigation into the tragedy.

But a fire service spokesman said the ‘most likely’ cause of the blaze was ‘smoking materials’. It’s understood to have been an accident.

The fire service were unable to confirm whether a cigarette was involved. They were also unable to confirm whether the flat belonged to the woman.

Ilminster is one block of a series of blocks of flats off Tweedale Street.

Bouquets of flowers have been attached to metal railings outside the flat. A single flower has also been attached to the front door, with another resting on the window sill.

A tribute to ‘Emma’ was attached to the single flower on the door. Believed to be from a relative, it says: “To Emma. You was to young to go. We will miss you always. RIP.”

Station manager Jon Crawley said: “On arrival at the address, crews from Rochdale and Chadderton found a ground-floor flat well alight and wearing breathing apparatus, they rescued a 23-year-old woman from the bedroom.

“They brought her outside where they performed CPR on her until the North West Ambulance Service arrived.”

Coun David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “It is very sad that a young life has been taken and our thoughts are with the young woman’s family and friends at this time.

“As well as paying our condolences we would also like to highlight the tragic incident to remind others just how dangerous smoking can be and hopefully save many other lives.” Fire crews were called at 2.40am on Saturday.


Sign In

Sign Up