Viva Brazil blaze suspected cause is residual oil catching fire

Viva Brazil blaze suspected cause is residual oil catching fire

A fire at Liverpool city centre restaurant Viva Brazil is thought to have been caused by residue fat and oil in an extractor overheating.

Ten fire engines attended the blaze on historic Castle Street, which started around 11.30am on 4th August in the grill area of the popular Brazilian-themed restaurant.

Smoke and flames travelled through the ventilation system resulting in offices workers above being evacuated for most of the day.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire is suspected to be accidental and suspected causes are a result of heat and fire igniting residue of fat and oils in the extraction system.

Firefighters used an extended aerial arm to blast water down the historic building’s chimney to remove residue which caught fire.

Part of Castle Street was cordoned off and ten fire engines were called to the scene where smoke billowed from the restaurant throughout the afternoon.

Firefighters used breathing apparatus to enter the building and assess the damage.

One worker from an office above the restaurant said: “We were told it was charcoal fire which started in the kitchen. It then spread through the ventilation system and we were all evacuated.”

Source (by Abigail O’Leary)

Sign In

Sign Up