Two arrested on suspicion of arson after Lenton factory fire

Two arrested on suspicion of arson after Lenton factory fire

Two males, believed to be juveniles, are being held by police on suspicion of arson following a huge blaze at a disused factory building.

Residents in Lenton described hearing banging noises as the fire broke out in the warehouse in Farraday Road.

Firefighters, ambulances and police rushed to the scene as smoke billowed over the neighbourhood on Wednesday.

Neighbours were told to leave their homes and businesses, and large areas around the scene remained cordoned off throughout the afternoon.

 A spokesman for Nottinghamshire Police said the two males arrested are thought to be juveniles.

The fire, which reached 1,000C and was hot enough to shatter concrete, was first reported at around 12.30pm and took nearly three hours to bring fully under control. On Wednesday evening firefighters were still damping down, but no one was injured.

Members of the public were told to avoid the area initially as smoke billowed across nearby Derby Road, causing a thick, fog for motorists.

Tracy Smithen, 59, of Cycle Road which joins onto Faraday Road, was at home when the fire broke out.

She said: “There was a massive explosion – next minute there were loads of big bangs.

“I went round the house and saw a massive load of smoke and found out it was that dilapidated building at the back of the G4 security and the block of these houses.

“I thought we’d been bombed, honestly, I was so scared I couldn’t see anything that was happening.”

The two arrested suspects remained in police custody on Wednesday evening.

Residents were told to leave their homes and keep their windows closed as fire caused huge disruption across Lenton.

Power was cut out and cordons prevented motorists and pedestrians getting anywhere near the scene.

Around six fire vehicles and more than 25 firefighters were sent to help tackle the flames.

Several police and paramedic vehicles were also brought in to support the firefighters.

Elliot Newbold, 20, of Allington Avenue, rushed to the scene after he saw the thick, black clouds arching over his home.

He said: “I ran down to the Lenton Rec where there was a group of people gathered, asking and looking to find out what it was. There were sirens ringing out and we could hear people heading towards it.

“There’s just been a lot of disquiet and panic. I just saw a helicopter going by. The smoke is so thick it’s blackening the sky.”

Around 80 homes were left without power after the fire, but it was later switched back on.

Mum of one Rhea Chaplin, 29, of Faraday Road, was affected by the blaze.

She said: “There was a huge bang and it sounded like a bomb going off.

“After that there were more bangs smaller this time but more of them.

“The police came round and told us all to get indoors because whatever is burning could be toxic.

“The houses a little nearer were evacuated but we were told we could stay. I was still a little bit scared because we are only four doors down.”

Firefighters began to leave at around 4pm as residents returned home – the scene was handed over to Nottinghamshire Police.

Station manager Martin Molloy from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue said: “The fire is now out but we are still damping down the area.

“We have reduced down to two fire engines and ten firefighters.

“It was a significant fire that reach anywhere between 600 and 1,000C.

“The fire itself was in a small contained space.

“It was an unsafe structure so no firefighters could go inside and we tackled the blaze from outside.

“It has almost demolished itself but what is left will have to be taken down for safety.”

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of arson following the huge blaze.

Original source: Nottingham Post

Sign In

Sign Up