A teenager received burns to his arms while tackling a fire.
Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service was called out at 11.22pm on Thursday January 24 to near Thatto Heath Road, Thatto Heath.
Watch Manager Alan Moore, who attended the call-out, said: “The teenager received burns attempting to extinguish the fire. What he should have done was shut the door and get out of the property and call 999. Smoke alarms were also present to raise the alarm and alert others which is vital for people to react quickly.”
Firefighters applied burn shields to the 14-year-old’s forearms and requestd an ambulance. He was taken to Whiston Hospital by ambulance.
The fire in the first floor front bedroom. The fire was extinguished by 11.39pm. Around 10% of the bedroom was severely damaged by fire. There was also slight smoke damage to the first floor.
The cause of the fire was suspected to be accidental due to a carelessly discarded cigarette.
An appliance from Eccleston Community Fire Station and an appliance from Whiston Community Fire Station attended the call-out. An appliance from St Helens Community Fire Station also responded to the call-out.