A Haydock resident had a lucky escape after a fridge freezer caught fire in his kitchen this morning.
The occupier was alerted by a neighbour who banged on the front door of the house in Vista Road.
Two fire crews from St Helens and Newton-Le-Willows were called at 6:14am.
A fridge freezer was involved in the fire and the kitchen was left severely damaged by smoke. Other rooms on the ground floor were also smoke damaged.
Firefighters carried out a Home Fire Safety Check and fitted free smoke alarms whilst in attendance. For free safety advice and smoke alarms, call 0800 731 5958.