From Torquay Herald Express
TRAGIC young chef Jason Bowerman died in an Ellacombe house fire with no working fire alarms, fire chiefs revealed at an inquest in Torquay yesterday.
It is the second inquest in recent weeks in which the lack of working fire alarms was blamed for South Devon deaths.
Fire chief Andy Justice said after the Ellacombe inquest: “Sadly this is the second coroner’s inquest in a month that I have attended where a lack of working smoke alarms was found to be a contributory factor to a fatal incident.”
The Dunmere Road fire which killed Jason, 26, was only a few hundred yards from the Ellacombe Church Road house where two young children died in a blaze in 2009. No smoke alarms were fitted in the house where Stephanie Wojak, 15, and Ben McAuliffe, eight, died.