Fire Involving Hallowe’en Decorations

Fire Involving Hallowe’en Decorations

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is urging people to be careful after Hallowe’en decorations caught fire at a house in Walton.

Firefighters were called out to Lobelia Avenue just before 1pm following the fire.

A woman had attempted to light a pumpkin with a candle and the flame ignited a quantity of Halloween decorations, which were hanging from the ceiling.

The decorations were damaged by fire and there was also fire damage to a sofa and a quantity of cushions.

A neighbour extinguished the fire and helped the woman to safety.

Two fire appliances from Aintree and Kirkdale community fire stations were called out and the fire was out when firefighters arrived.

Firefighters gave oxygen to the man and woman and administered first aid to the man who suffered suspected burns in the incident.

The woman was assessed by paramedics and the man was taken to Aintree Hospital.

Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service is urging people to be careful when using candles and decorations over the Halloween and bonfire period.

Watch Manager Dave Cartwright, of Aintree Community Fire Station, said: “We would advise people to be careful when using candles to light tealights in pumpkins and to ensure they are kept away from flammable items such as decorations and curtains.

“Hallowe’en and seasonal decorations can easily catch fire.

“People are advised to have a smoke alarm fitted on each floor of their property and to ensure they test them each week.”

Sign In

Sign Up