Two shopkeepers have been fined thousands of pounds and putting profit before safety and storing fireworks dangerously
Aamar Ahmed, 37, of Esmond Road, Cheetham Hill, was ordered to pay over £5,000 following a hearing at Manchester Magistrates’ Court.
Fire safety officers who visited Ahmed’s temporary shop found fireworks, which should have been kept locked up, strewn over the shop floor.
They also discovered Hazard Type 3 fireworks hidden behind a vending machine.
Ahmed narrowly avoided prison after pleading guilty to two offences of failing to comply with the Explosives Regulations Act 2014.
Abigail Hudson, prosecuting for the Greater Manchester Fire Authority, told the Court: “Small temporary fireworks shops are regulated because of the danger posed. When not stored safely there is a risk of serious injury and property damage.
“Mr Ahmed understood what was required of him and put cost cutting before public safety. If a fire occurred there was a risk of injury or death to people in the shop and the vicinity as well as firefighters who would be required to attend.”
Ahmed was told the offence was so serious he could have gone to prison but as no injury had occurred he was fined £1,000 for each offence, ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £100 and the full prosecution costs amounting to £2,924.
In a separate case Khawar Rehman, 27, of Tansley Road, Crumpsall was given a four month curfew and ordered to pay £1,400 costs and a £60 victim surcharge after pleading guilty to the same offences.
The court heard how fire safety officers visited his temporary shop on Oldham Road on November 5, 2015 and found there were fireworks all over the shop floor and that Rehman had removed the doors to the display cabinets.
Officers also found powerful Hazard Type 3 fireworks which were not allowed under the conditions of Rehman’s licence.
Assistant County Fire Officer, Geoff Harris, Director of Prevention and Protection, said: “Fireworks are enjoyed by many people at Bonfire night and other times of year and can be a great way of celebrating when used responsibly.
“But they are explosives and can be very dangerous which is why the storage of more than small amounts is regulated.”
Original source: Manchester Evening News