More than 800 guests were evacuated from the Celtic Manor resort hotel in south Wales after a fire broke out on the premises Monday morning (2nd January).
Firefighters were called to the venue in Newport at 4.25am on Monday to tackle a small blaze in the laundry room on the ninth floor.
A spokesman for the Celtic Manor resort said: “A small fire was located and extinguished within minutes.
“The resort apologises to residents for the disturbance but their safety has to be paramount concern in the resort’s fire alarm procedures.”
No one was injured in the fire, which is believed to have been started accidentally, according to South Wales Fire and Rescue Service.
Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, a ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment must be conducted on all commercial properties in England and Wales.
If the fire risk assessment is deemed to be carried out to an insufficient extent, the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or a prison sentence of up to two years.