Great Yarmouth fire: Blaze may have started in freezer

Great Yarmouth fire: Blaze may have started in freezer

The owner of Great Yarmouth’s indoor market has said the fire which destroyed the building may have started in an ice cream freezer.

An investigation into the seven-hour blaze at the Regent Superbowl and the indoor market on Friday is ongoing.

Fire investigators have confirmed it started through an electrical circuit or item.

Phil Thompson, who has run the market for four years, said it was a “relief” to know it was not started on purpose.

He said: “You’re thinking the worst of everything, someone getting in and doing something but obviously that’s not the case which is lovely, absolutely brilliant.

“But for a freezer to cause this devastation is absolutely terrible.”

Mr Thompson said the ice cream freezer was on the first floor of the bowling alley.

He said CCTV footage shows the appliance going up in flames – but a spokesman for Norfolk Fire and Rescue service said the findings of the investigation were yet to be confirmed.

The blaze left 42 businesses at the indoor market homeless.

Great Yarmouth Borough Council is hosting a drop-in sessions on Thursday to hear what the traders need to operate.

Councillor Penny Carpenter, deputy leader of the council, said: “As a council we need to speak to the traders personally on a one-to-one to see exactly what their requirements are going to be and how we can assist them.”

She said the council had been in contact with the liquidators of the BHS store to see if the newly-vacated property could be used as temporary premises.

At the blaze’s height, the pillar of smoke billowing from the country’s oldest working bowling alley could be seen up to 11 miles away.

Eighty firefighters worked to tackle it and spent hours damping down.

It is thought it could cost £1m to clear the site.

Original source: BBC News

Sign In

Sign Up