Fast-acting landlord saves Bolton pub from fire

Fast-acting landlord saves Bolton pub from fire

A fast-acting landlord is being treated in hospital for injuries suffered as he tackled a fire at his pub in Bolton.

Fire crews were called to the Red Lion Pub in Over Hulton at 6.55am on Sunday morning (24th June), after a deep fat fryer which was left switched on all night caught alight, reports the Bolton News.

Upon discovering the incident, the 44-year-old landlord reached for a light water extinguisher and brought the fire under control.

Russ Condon, watch manager at Atherton Fire Station, said: “He has done a really good job, he saved the kitchen and he probably saved the pub too.”

The landlord is now being treated at the Royal Bolton Hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation and a burn to his hand.

Under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, a ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment must be conducted on all commercial properties in England and Wales.

If the fire risk assessment is deemed to be carried out to an insufficient extent, the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or a prison sentence of up to two years.

Sign In

Sign Up