Fire chiefs in Hull have praised a domestic sprinkler system for saving the life of an elderly woman just under five weeks after it was fitted.
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service was called to a house in Spring Bank at 9.36pm on May 7th following reports of minor flooding at the property.
Crews found that a domestic sprinkler system was the cause of the flooding as it operated after a chip pan overheated.
Daryl Oprey, head of safety at Humberside Fire and Rescue Service, revealed that the 81-year-old homeowner did not suffer any injuries in the incident.
He said: “Having encountered many similar situations in my 27 years of service, I know that the oil in this chip pan was very close to igniting.
“However, the sprinkler did what it should and suppressed any fire, ensuring that the occupier was safe also causing minimal damage to the room and house.”
The sprinkler system was installed in the Spring Bank property as a result of the public/private partnership currently operating in Hull.
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service and its partners fit domestic sprinklers in properties owned by those most at risk from fire.