Melbourne street performer in serious condition after dress catches fire

Melbourne street performer in serious condition after dress catches fire

Woman, who was performing on the Southbank, taken to hospital with burns to her back and legs

A female street performer who caught fire in Melbourne has been taken to hospital in a serious condition.

The woman, believed to be in her 20s, has burns to her back and legs, an Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman said on Monday.

Firefighters were called to Southbank when the woman’s dress caught ablaze after midday – however the fire had been put out by the time crews arrived.

“She was effectively balancing candles on her body and I think one fell over and caught on her clothing,” he said.

The performer suddenly began screaming and rolling on the ground.

“Most people thought it was just part of the trick, they couldn’t quite believe it,” Jopling said.

When onlookers realised she was in trouble they used their jackets and buckets of water to douse the flames on her legs and back before emergency crews arrived.

Ahron Young, a Sky News journalist, said he had witnessed the scene from his office and that about 20 people came to help the woman.

“We could hear screaming from the office,” he tweeted.

Original source: The Guardian

Sign In

Sign Up