House fire prompts security review

House fire prompts security review

Security is to be reviewed at a Dundee housing estate following a fire that gutted a home under construction.

The move was revealed as three children — one aged just eight — were charged in connection with the blaze.

One house in Lewis Terrace, Mill o’ Mains, was destroyed on Monday, while two neighbouring properties were also damaged.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We can confirm three boys aged 13, 10 and 8 have been charged in relation to a fire at a property in Lewis Terrace, Dundee.

“All three will be reported to the Youth Justice Assessor.”

Residents in the street said they had been calling for security to be tightened in the area for some time.

Following the blaze, chairman of Mill o’ Mains Tenants and Residents Association Jim Malone said it was crucial steps were taken.

He said: “There are serious anti-social problems at Mill o’ Mains and something needs to be done about it.”

Councillor for the area Brian Gordon added: “We have been asking for some time for this to happen. I hope the developers, Home Scotland, take this on board.”

Stuart Dixon, Home Scotland head of development and delivery, said: “Whenever construction workers are not on site, mobile patrols operate, in addition to CCTV covering the area.

“Site security is ultimately our contractor’s responsibility but we always work closely with them.

“After any event we always review security and we’ll contact Brian Gordon to update him on this. We’d urge the local community to report any suspicious behaviour to the police.”

A Dundee City Council spokesman said: “We are working closely with Home Scotland and the police to deal with anti-social behaviour issues.”

Meanwhile, firefighters were called to a building site in Trottick after a wooden plank caught alight.

One appliance from Macalpine Road attended the scene in Oban Terrace on Tuesday.

Original source: Evening Telegraph

Sign In

Sign Up