A 14-year-old boy was the only one to escape the devastating blaze after jumping out a window, but later died of his injuries in hospital
A fire has killed 39 people – including 17 children – after it raged through a house-warming party.
The blaze ripped through a house in Ambalavato village in Madagascar, on Saturday, leaving the property almost completely destroyed.
A 14-year-old boy managed to escape the devastating fire by jumping out the window, but later died from his injuries in hospital.
Villagers scrambled to rescue the people trapped inside but could not open the door as they were reportedly collapsed against the door.
Fire crews rushed to the scene, but flames took over the entire top floor and obliterated the roof.
Police spokesman Anthony Rakotoarison said: “Thirty nine people were killed by the fire – 38 of them died on Saturday, another victim passed away today.”
It is believed the fire in the Ikalamavony district was caused by embers of a fire that had been used earlier to cook food for the guests.
Mr Rakotoarison said the fire broke out at around 7pm at a compound where a party to celebrate the completion of a house renovation was underway.
He added that the fire started in a straw hut near a fireplace where meals for the occasion were prepared, before the blaze spread to the main house.
Original source: The Mirror