A landlord of a house of multiple occupancy (HMO) has been fined over £100,000 for breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
Joseph Ernest Draper faced charges, including having doors that were inappropriately resistant to fire and had no self-closing mechanism, at Exeter Crown Court on March 29th, reports Info4Fire.
A blaze at the Illfracombe-based establishment – on February 14th 2008 – led to fire inspectors carrying out an examination on the premises, when they found the infractions.
Mr Draper was found guilty of four offences and fined £135,000 as well as incurring court costs of £23,000.
Nick Manning, the community safety manager of Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service, told the news provider that the charge should serve as a warning to landlords.
“Landlords and owners of properties used as flats should take notice of the outcome of this case – it has sent a clear message with the level of the fine awarded,” he said.
Posted by Ryan Steven