Historic London cinema hit by fire

Historic London cinema hit by fire

Historic London cinema hit by fire

More than 200 people needed to be evacuated from the Electric Cinema in Portobello Road after a fire broke out in the historic venue’s kitchens.

The famous cinema in Notting Hill was forced to close following the outbreak of the fire, with black smoke seen emanating from the back of the building.

However, the site’s owners said that there was not significant damage and it will be able to open for “business as usual very soon”.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, owner Nick Jones said: “Thankfully no-one was hurt and I’m confident with our dedicated team we’ll be back to business as usual very soon.”

A member of the building team tasked with carrying out repair work said that the worst of the fire had been contained to the kitchen area, with the cinema’s accompanying restaurant also taking some damage.

The incident caused a flurry of activity on social media Twitter, with London Fire Brigade tweeting: “Lots of interest in the fire at Electric Cinema including from @StephenMerchant the cinema suffered little damage. Fire was in extractor fan.”

Sign In

Sign Up