From Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service
Love birds are being encouraged to be mindful of fire hazards this Valentine’s Day.
Cooking is the biggest cause of accidental fires in the home, so we’re asking people to take care and not get distracted in the kitchen. We don’t want to dampen your passion, but we want to you stay fire safe.
Candles also pose their own dangers, so please see the tips below – ensure that you’re aware of the dangers of naked flames.
- Make sure saucepan handles don’t stick out – so they don’t get knocked off the stove.
- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
- Take care if you need to leave the kitchen whilst cooking, take pans off the heat or turn them down to avoid risk.
- Make sure you don’t get distracted when cooking, even for a short period of time, turn off the cooker
- Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob. Keep anything that can catch fire – oven gloves, wooden utensils, paper or plastic bags, food packaging, tea towels – away from your cooker top.
- Check the cooker is off when you have finished cooking