California’s third most destructive wildfire was started by a spark from a badly-wired hot tub, according to state fire officials.
The fire in September 2015 burnt more than 76,000 acres in Lake County and parts of Napa County, killing four people and destroying more than 1,300 homes and buildings.
Thousands of people were forced to flee for their lives.
Four firefighters were injured and more than $56m (£43m) was spent getting the fire under control.
The copper wiring for the hot tub had been poorly connected, according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.
The wiring had heated to 1,082C, melted and set alight nearby brush at a home in the town of Cobb.
John Pinch, owner of the home, admitted installing the circuit that caused the fire, prosecutors say, but Lake County’s District Attorney Don Anderson is still considering whether to file charges.
The San Francisco Chronicle reports that many are still homeless since the fire, renting or relying on family or friends for housing until they can raise enough money to rebuild.
Many of the mountain communities that were affected do not have good enough water or sewage systems to handle the development of new houses.
Original source: Sky News