A devastating fire broke out in Eastenders, showing just how dangerous cigarettes can be if you chuck them into a bin.
In a recent episode Alfie Moon was seen throwing a cigarette in a wastepaper bin as he attempted to deliberately start a fire inside his home.
A third of all fire deaths in the home are caused by cigarettes. Last year in Cheshire there were 45 fires caused by smoking materials and in the past five years there have been five fire deaths caused by smoking materials.
Fire safety tips for Smokers
If you or someone in your home smokes you can take the following five simple steps to prevent a fire from happening in your home:
- Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished
- Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended – they can easily overbalance as they burn down
- Use a proper, heavy, ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn. Make sure your cigarette is not still burning when you are finished – put it out, right out!
- Do not empty your ashtray into a bin because this can cause the bin to catch fire. A drop of water in the ashtray will help to make it safe, then leave it to cool down fully.
- Fit and maintain a smoke alarm – A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and dial 999. You can get a ten-year smoke alarm for roughly the same price as two packets of cigarettes